Self-care is important to both our mental and physical health. But because we lead such busy lives, we often neglect taking the time to actually care for ourselves. I for one, know that I have been guilty of this.
We often feel that because we have so many activities on our plate – work, school, church, kids, after school activities and the list goes on and on, that we are unable to actually fit “me time” into our schedules.
I have reached a point in my life as to where I am making myself a priority. I take a couple of hours each week to do something that I enjoy.
There are simple things that you can do to add a little self-care to your week. Here is a list of my favorites:
1. Take a relaxing bath. Light some candles, and add a half cup of your favorite bath salts, then immerse yourself into a warm bath.
2. Read a good book. Curl up on the couch or in your favorite chair and enjoy that book that you’ve been wanting to read for some time now.
3. Enjoy a glass of wine. Pop open that cork and pour yourself a glass of vino.
4. Listen to your favorite tunes. Put on your favorite tunes, turn it up, and shake your boo-tay.
5. Visit a coffee shop. If you are a coffee lover like myself, you can go to your local coffee shop and order up your favorite cup of coffee or tea. While you’re there, treat yourself to a pastry as well.
6. Manicure/Pedicure. Give yourself a Mani/Pedi. Your feet will definitely thank you.
7. Take a walk. Put on your tennis shoes and go for a leisurely walk through your neighborhood. Inhale the fresh air.
8. Binge out on your favorite tv shows. This is one of my favorites! I love to spend hours in front of the tv catching up on my favorite shows.
9. Light up a candle. Can you say aromatherapy? Enjoy a scented candle.
10. Go to bed early (or on time). This is one that I am working on. I am often up until the wee hours of the morning because I get more done after my hubby and the kid are in bed. I have come to realize that my health is more important, so I have been going to bed much earlier than in the past – well most of the time.
You should take some time to incorporate weekly self-care activities into your schedule. It’s easy to spend our time caring for others while neglecting self. But as the saying goes – you can’t pour from an empty cup. So remember that self-care is not a luxury, it’s actually a necessity.
How do you spend your “me time?” Leave me a comment.
Please like and share on social media. Thanks for stopping by.