As of late, I have been trying to choose healthier options when preparing meals for me and my family. One of the things that I have done, is to cut back on the amount of breads and carbs that we consume. So now when we have Taco Tuesdays, we omit the taco shells and instead opt for lettuce leaves. This recipe is a hit with my family, and I am sure you will enjoy it too.
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
1 lb ground turkey
1 yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper ( to taste )
Romaine lettuce leaves
Shredded Mexican cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, diced red onion
*Diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, - optional
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add turkey and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook thoroughly.
3. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, tomato sauce and chicken broth.
4. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes until sauce has reduced.
5. Serve mixture over lettuce leaves, and add desired toppings.